There are many chronic disorders people suffer from today. This diseases are very critical and have resulted in the majority of deaths all over the world. It is important to know what these chronic diseases are and how to manage them. Below are the top chronic disorders that you should know:
Hypertension (high blood pressure)
This is a prevalent disease, especially amongst older people. Hypertension (or high blood pressure) occurs when the heart pumps a large amount of blood, and the arteries are too narrow to accommodate the blood flow. What makes this chronic disorder top on the list, is the fact that it can lead to other serious conditions like heart attack and stroke. To manage high blood pressure:
- Keep fit and maintain healthy weight
- Avoid stressful activities
- Cut down on your alcohol and salt intake
- Do exercises every day to strengthen your muscles and make you flexible
- Check your blood pressure on a daily basis
High cholesterol in the body is the accumulation of excess fat that is bad for the body (known as lipids). The cholesterol clogs the arteries and will eventually lead to heart disease. To control this chronic disorder, One should:
- Abstaining from smoking and excessive alcohol consumption
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Engage in activities every day, don’t stay idle
- Reduce saturated fat consumption in your diet.
This is a disease that is common amongst older adults. Arthritis is common in women, and it is usually characterized by stiffness and inflammation of the joints. To manage the symptoms of arthritis:
- You should do exercises at least for 30 minutes for five days. You can include aerobics in your exercise plan.
- Keep fit and ensure you maintain a healthy weight
- Ensure that your arms, back, and legs are supported all the time
- Avoid getting joint injuries
- It is better to stay away from smoking
Coronary heart disease
This chronic disorder is caused as a result of plaque storing up in the arteries making the arteries that lead to the heart narrow. When the arteries are blocked, they will reduce the amount oxygen blood that goes to the heart. This can lead to a heart attack, blood clots or angina. To avoid the arteries blocking and building plaque, you should:
- Avoid saturated fatty foods and reduce the amount of sugar you consume
- Also, reduce the amount of salt intake
- Get sufficient sleep for at least 7-8 hours every night
- Avoid stressful activities
- Do exercises everyday especially cardio exercises
- Do not smoke
Diabetes is a condition where the body fails to produce sufficient insulin. The insulin in the body is essential because it is responsible for extracting energy from the food we consume and it sends it all to the body cells. When there is a shortage of insulin in the body, it will cause high blood sugar. Diabetes leads to other serious conditions like heart disease, kidney disease, and even blindness. To avoid having diabetes:
- Have a healthy meal plan by ensuring that you control your calorie and carbohydrate consumption.
- Exercise at least five times a week for up to 30 minutes and maintain a healthy weight.
Find out tips on how you can prevent these chronic disorders, and if you have people suffering from these conditions, many health community programs will aid them to manage these conditions effectively. Further use of medications can also manage many chronic illnesses. It is important always to maintain a healthy life stiletto avoid getting any of these chronic disorders.